Easy Yoghurt & Honey Bread
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 cup (250 ml) rolled oats or quick-cooking oats, plus extra for coating and topping
- 1 1/3 cups (330 ml) wholewheat flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose white flour
- 2¼ tsp (11.25 ml) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) bicarbonate of soda
- 1¼ tsp (6.25 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) NutriDay Double Cream Plain Yoghurt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (60 ml) canola oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) mild honey
- ¾ cup (180 ml) low-fat milk
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and heat it to 180 °C
- Generously coat a loaf pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of oats into the pan and tip it back and forth to coat the sides and bottom.
- In a large bowl, combine the wholewheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt, and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of oats, the yoghurt, egg, oil and honey until well blended, then stir in the milk.
- Gently stir the liquid mixture into the bowl containing the dry ingredients. Take care not to over-mix, as this could create a tough result.
- Immediately tip the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and spread it evenly to the edges.
- Sprinkle another 1 tablespoon of oats over the top of the loaf.
- Bake at 180 °C for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the loaf is well browned on top, and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. It’s normal for the top of the loaf to crack.
- Let the loaf stand in its pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run the blade of a knife around the edges and under the loaf, then tip over onto the rack.
- Serve warm with soup or salad.